It doesn't take long for mold to start growing and growing and growing!
- The key to mold control is moisture control.
- If mold is a problem in your home, it needs to be cleaned up promptly and fix the water problem that’s where SERVPRO can help you
- It is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
Molds are part of the natural environment. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.
Moisture Control is the Key to Mold Control
- When water leaks or spills occur indoors - act quickly. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried 24-48 hours after a leak or spill happens, in most cases mold will not grow.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly.
- Make sure the ground slopes away from the building foundation, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and the drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly.
- Keep indoor humidity low. If possible, keep indoor humidity below 60 percent (ideally between 30 and 50 percent) relative humidity. Relative humidity can be measured with a moisture or humidity meter, a small, inexpensive ($10-$50) instrument available at many hardware stores.
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes act quickly to dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source. Condensation can be a sign of high humidity.
Actions that will help to reduce humidity
- Vent appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers, stoves, and kerosene heaters to the outside where possible. (Combustion appliances such as stoves and kerosene heaters produce water vapor and will increase the humidity unless vented to the outside.)
- Use air conditioners and/or de-humidifiers when needed.
- Run the bathroom fan or open the window when showering. Use exhaust fans or open windows whenever cooking, running the dishwasher or dishwashing, etc.
The professionals at SERVPRO use antifungal and antimicrobial treatments to treat mold colonies. When necessary to treat heavy mold growth our process includes removing and disposing of mold-infested porous materials like drywall, carpeting and insulation.
If needed we will also clean items like curtins, home decor and documents.
September is National Preparedness Month
Be Prepared Not Scared
National Preparedness Month is observed every September to promote the importance of preparing for emergencies that can happen any time of the year.
Older adults are especially vulnerable when emergencies and disasters occur. There are things that can be done however to help if these events occur.
BUILDING AN EMERGENCY KIT
- Water and non-perishable food for several days for you and your pets
- Extra cell phone battery or charger
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio that can receive NOAA Weather Radio tone alerts and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal cleanup
- Non-sparking wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can opener (if kit contains canned food)
- Local maps
Be sure to share with your family and friends what your plans are should an emergency occur.
You can find other helpful information on the website ready.gov
What ever happens SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties will be there to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Smoke Damage from Fires
How is Smoke Damage Treated
Smoke from fires travels through out the enclosed space. Our best advice is to call the professionals from SERVPRO to properly clean the residue.
SERVPRO will make it "Like It Never Even Happened!"
Plan Prepare Perform
Be Prepared Not Scared!
How Businesses Can Ensure A Quick Recovery After Disaster Strikes
We all hope that disaster never strikes, but if it does, it’s a good idea to have a plan in place so that life can get back to normal as quickly as possible.
Time is money. SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties can help you and your business not only recover but recover quickly. Our services can be the key to getting your business back on track in a timely manner. Staying afloat after an emergency isn’t easy, but here are a few simple steps you can take to prepare for a smooth recovery after a loss:
- Carefully review insurance policies; see what your business’s damage coverage is, find out if you have flood insurance, and decide if it’s necessary to invest in additional coverage
- Secure important records and priority documents in a waterproof container and/or store copies at a safe off-site location.
- Create a communication plan to easily stay in touch with customers, suppliers, and employees
- If it is safe to do so, document any visible damage to the facility for future reference
By planning ahead, businesses can protect against and minimize the effects of an emergency. SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties provides fire, water and mold damage relief services. In the event of an emergency, SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties is just a phone call away at 814 849-5653. Our team is ready to make any disaster look "Like it never even happened." No matter the day or time, we have the trained professionals, materials, and equipment to respond to any size restoration emergency. Call us at 814 849-5653
Still not sure where to begin? Consider downloading our SERVPRO Ready Plan app https://ready.SERVPRO.com/ to keep all your emergency information and plans in one spot, and feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns! SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties would be happy to help you develop your plan! We are a phone call away: 814 849-5653
6 WAYS TO PREVENT FROZEN WATER PIPES
Freezing Winter weather can cause water pipes to freeze and burst!
Punxsutawney Phil has predicted 6 more weeks of winter so we have some freezing weather to get through before the thaw.
Here are some tips on ways to help prevent frozen pipes:
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinets to allow warmer air to reach plumbing/pipes.
- Keep all garage doors closed, especially if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Keep your thermostat set to the same temperature during the day and night, making sure it is never below 55 degrees F.
- Allow the faucet to drip if it is served by pipes on an exterior wall. Running water through the pipe can help prevent pipes from freezing.
- Make arrangements to have a neighbor check on your home during a cold spell if you are out of town.
- Turn the water off at the main if you know you will be away for an extended period of time.
Stay warm neighbors, and remember SERVPRO of Clarion, Jefferson & Forest Counties is here for any water and/or fire emergencies you may have!
Our emergency restoration technicians are available 24 hours a day.
Give us a call if you need help at
SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties
How SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties Cares for Your Belongings
Storm and water damage affect not only the structure of your house but also your belongings. SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties understands that your home is more than a structure; your family’s furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings help transform a house into a home.
SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties specializes in restoring contents damaged by storms and other water damage events. Our expertise and our “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. We utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe - Effective for items that can’t withstand cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- Quicker remodeling processes
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. Whether you experience fire or water damage to your Clarion Jefferson or Forest County home or business, SERVPRO is Here to Help. For immediate assistance, give us a call at 814 849-5653 or visit our website.
Protecting Your Home From Storm Damage
SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties specializes in fire and water - restoration and cleanup.
We all know that by living in Pennsylvania, we are prone to storms no matter the time of year! We do not know, nor can we control when they come and go. However, we can control the measures we take in order to prevent our homes from experiencing damage from the storm. Here are a few things you can do in order to prevent your home from being a victim to storm damage:
- Remove Dead Wood from trees near your house
- Trim Trees
- Fix Loose Siding
- Inspect your Roof Annually/ Replace Missing or Damaged Shingles
- Pack Up/Secure Outdoor Furniture
- Clean Gutters Regularly
- Check Sump Pump
- Always Have a Spare Generator
SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties specializes in fire and water - restoration and cleanup. We understand that if you have experienced a disaster, you need someone you can call on 24/7. We are Here to Help and make it “Like It Never Even Happened!” Call us at any time, day, or night at (814) 849-5653.
Mold Growth Where You May Not Think to Look
If you suspect you may have mold, call the experts at SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties.
Top 5 Overlooked Places Mold Grows in Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties
Although we usually equate mold to dark and damp basements, mold is tricky and can grow in places you least expect it. Mold can grow extremely rapidly within 24 hours of being exposed to moisture and spread quickly. Below are some common places mold forms that you may not be aware:
Under Your Refrigerator
The spaces behind and under your fridge rarely see the light of day. Even a small leak can lead to a huge mold problem. Make sure to clean all water lines and drip pans and clean behind and underneath your refrigerator regularly.
Brick crevices can collect water, dirt, and other debris. Rusted chimney caps and faulty flashing can let in rain and snow. Replace rusted caps and fix flashing to help decrease the likelihood of mold. Additionally, getting your chimney swept by a professional at least once a year can help lower your chances of mold. If you have already discovered mold, a mold specialist like us can remove it for you.
Front-Loading Washing Machines
Front-loading washing machines are great but can be a potential home for mold. The gasket on the door often stays wet because the door is usually closed when not in use. It is best to wipe the gasket and glass dry before shutting the door. If you spot mold, run a hot water cycle with some chlorine bleach and no clothes to kill the fungi. Even top loading washing machines can accumulate moisture and form mold. Make sure to check behind and underneath your washer and dryer regularly to make sure there is no extra moisture or leaks.
When it rains, condensation accumulates, and moisture is left behind long after the rain has stopped. This provides a perfect nesting spot for mold to settle in. After heavy rains, open your windows and wipe the moisture off the windowsills. Replace any broken seals if you notice water has leaked into the wood and walls.
Air conditioning units trap dust and pollen and grab moisture from the air. If you don’t run your AC unit at least once every 24 hours, warm weather humidity gives mold a chance to grow. If mold grows in your air conditioning unit, you will need a mold specialist to come and clean it out.
If you suspect you may have mold, call the experts at SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties. We can handle any situation, large or small, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Give us a call at (814) 849-5653! We aim to make it “Like it Never Even Happened!”
After a Fire: What Not To Do
Fires, as we know, disrupt daily life for homeowners and regular operations for commercial properties. As a property owner, your mind is likely fixated on what you can do to restore your home or business to its pre-fire condition as soon as possible. While this thinking may be productive, taking hasty actions after a fire can risk additional damage to a property already suffering from fire damage. Read on to learn about actions to avoid after a fire in an effort to protect your property from additional, avoidable damage.
- Re-entering Your Home or Business Before It Is Safe to Do So
Although the fire may be extinguished, it is not necessarily safe to re-enter the property. It is understandable that you are anxious to re-enter your home or business after a fire in order to assess the damage. However, it is important to remember that entering a fire-damaged property prematurely can result in an increased risk for additional damage.
- Cleaning the Property Yourself
Small and large fires alike can bring about smoke and soot residue, both of which risk damage to a property’s contents, as well as its ceilings and walls. Calling a fire damage restoration professional is beneficial, to make sure that the property is thoroughly restored and cleaned with professionally, tested, and reliable methods and tools. Taking matters into your own hands, especially when it comes to cleaning carpets and walls, only risks further, unwanted damage. By contacting SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties instead, your property will receive the highest quality care, making your fire damage seem “Like it never even happened” after an emergency.
- Using or Cleaning Electrical Appliances
Remember that in the early stages after a fire, areas of the property can be damp or soaked from fire extinguishing efforts. That makes it important to avoid using electrical devices and appliances in an effort to prevent electrical shock. Because fires are extinguished with water, the wiring of electrical appliances, such as televisions, computers, refrigerators, and washing machines, can be left damp and dangerous to use. This is why it is best to also leave the task of cleaning electrical appliances to the professionals, who can make sure that everything is completed safely.
Call SERVPRO After a Fire
Making the call to SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties after a fire is the best way to ensure great care for your property. Let our trusted restoration and cleaning services, experienced crew members, and advanced technology give you peace of mind after a fire. You can learn more about our fire damage restoration offerings, including our commercial and residential services on our website. At the first sign of damage, pick up the phone and call SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties at 814 849-5653 to make it “Like it never even happened” and restore your home or business to its pre-fire condition as soon as possible
5 Common Questions About Mold
Take hold of the mold BEFORE it gets a foothold!
Protect Your Home From Mold Damage
Mold is an extremely common residential issue that many homeowners have to tackle at some point. Putting a stop to spreading mold is a big part of the remediation process, but even that is only the beginning. Read on to learn how to better protect your home from mold damage.
- What Is Mold?
Mold is a living organism. Many people mistake it for a plant or bacteria, but it's actually a member of the fungus kingdom.
- How Does Mold Spread?
Mold spores are always present in the air around us. Mold itself needs moisture and a source of organic matter in order to actually grow. Mold growth occurs when the spores in the air attach to a damp surface or object. After that, it only takes about 24 hours for signs of black mold to appear.
- How Can You Stop Mold from Spreading?
The first step to putting a stop to spreading mold is to identify the source of the problem. Perform a thorough home inspection to figure out where the moisture is seeping into your home, then resolve the issue.
- What Are Some Common Mold Causes?
Any number of factors could contribute to your home's mold growth. Water damage, such as leaks or flooding, are common cause. Mold growth is not strictly a water damage problem. It can also grow in unvented bathrooms, around leaky pipes and underneath sinks with damaged seals. You're also likely to find mold growing in your walls, ceilings or window sills if your home's humidity levels are too high. Where there is water there will be mold!
- How Do You Get Rid of Mold?
You can tackle smaller mold issues on your own using a non-toxic, homemade cleaning solution. A simple mixture that consists of equal parts water and white vinegar can work wonders. Mold is air borne so do not spray it, you need to wipe it down. Larger problems might require mold remediation experts, like SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties.
Spreading mold can quickly take over your home if you don't handle the issue swiftly and effectively. Contact SERVPRO experts at 814 849-5653 for assistance with your residential mold issues.